Recognizing our team
Increased team member engagement can positively influence performance and customer satisfaction. This is why we work hard to support a culture of appreciation where giving and receiving recognition is easy and aligned to our values. Our recognition efforts align with our goal to become an employer of choice and our aim to ensure every team member is supported, developed and recognized for their work in achieving our business goals.
Performance and career recognition
Demonstrating the TELUS leadership values is the foundation of our corporate recognition strategy as evidenced by our recognition policies, processes and programs, including Bravo, our online recognition tool. Bravo empowers team members to send and receive recognition in the form of e-cards, gifts, gift cards as well as points that can be redeemed for online catalogue items or towards a charitable donation. Through Bravo, we also recognize team members every five years on their career milestones with a gift of points and either a plaque or a tree planted in their name. All business units in TELUS and team members from all levels of the organization are actively participating in the program.
In addition to Bravo and career milestone recognition, there are seven formal corporate award programs at TELUS:
- Passion for Growth - recognizes team members who exhibit the "We have a passion for growth" TELUS value for exceptional leadership. Recipients of this award are recognized for significant and measureable achievements impacting our business, our customers and our team. In 2011, 172 team members were recognized
- CEO Commemorative Coin - the TELUS commemorative coin program is positioned to complement recognition aligned with other CEO recognition programs. TELUS coins are presented as a personal symbol of appreciation from the CEO for memorable accomplishments
- TELUS Legends - all active and former team members with 20 or more years of service are eligible to receive the award. The Legends award pays tribute to team members who have consistently lived our leadership values and made significant contributions to the TELUS legacy. We honoured 139 team members with this award in 2011
- own.it – a process improvement methodology award was launched in 2011 and provides recognition to TELUS team members who demonstrate a commitment to collaboration and quality in order to deliver on our future friendly® brand promise. There were 70 recipients in 2011
- Customers First Champions – was launched in 2011 to recognize team members who consistently support, advocate and advance a Customers First culture by going above and beyond to consistently deliver an exceptional experience – each and every day. Customers First Champions is our opportunity to highlight and celebrate customer experience wins and share examples of what exceptional looks like. Team members across TELUS are invited to nominate a Customers First Champion. The program year runs from July to June. Sixty-five recipients received this award in its inaugural year
- President’s Club - TELUS celebrates sales team members whose passion for growth and spirited teamwork are worthy of the highest form of recognition by our company. Each year, 100 top performers earn a place in the President’s Club and receive an incredible experience at a destination selected by our senior executives
- Connections Honours Leaders of Excellence (CHLOE) – this program is intended to inspire and empower all TELUS women to take ownership of their career, promote and profile women as strong leaders and foster personal and professional relationships while creating a community of connected women, mentors and role models internally and externally in support of TELUS’ overall diversity objectives.
TELUS received the 2011 Best Practice Standards Award for Best Overall Recognition Program from Recognition Professionals International (RPI).This award recognizes our recognition strategy, leadership, measurement, communications, training, events and celebrations as well as program flexibility and improvements.
“The TELUS Communications Bravo program is a consistent RPI award winner because it sets the long term standard for all other employee recognition programs. Every year they continue to make improvements that set the bar a little higher. This is an award they’ve worked hard to earn.”
- Kevin Cronin, President Recognition Professionals International
RPI also praised the way team members use our recognition programs to give back to their communities. Since 2007 about 3,900 team members have donated Bravo points (valued at approximately $450,000) to their favourite charities. And through our partnership with Tree Canada, more than 3,800 trees were planted in 2011 on behalf of team members celebrating career milestones.
Improving recognition programs
In the 2011 Pulsecheck results, team members’ view of our recognition efforts increased by 12 per cent from the 2010 survey results.
Creating a culture of appreciation at TELUS continued to be a priority in 2011 and resulted in a $9.76 million investment which was higher than our projected budget of $8.87 million.
Total team member recognition expense
|2012 Target||2011 Actual||2010 Actual||2009 Actual|
|Recognition expense||$ 8.35 M||$ 9.76 M||$ 7.89 M||$ 8.59 M|
In 2012, our target recognition budget is $8.53 million supporting Bravo awards and points, career milestone awards, and other individual and team recognition programs. Our 2012 target is less than our 2011 actual and target amounts, which is consistent with discretionary spend plans for 2012. The projected 2012 target is based on efficiencies and improved processes with respect to program management.