Contributing to our economy
TELUS is focused on building sustainable economic growth for the benefit of our investors, customers, team members, suppliers and the communi¬ties where we live, work and serve. Our products and services enhance the lives of Canadians, enable the success of our customers and contribute to the development of sustainable communi¬ties, while delivering long-term, positive results for our investors.
TELUS’ wireless and wireline broadband investments provided the foundation for improved financial and operational performance in 2011 and enhanced TELUS’ competitive position. This enabled us to continue contributing to our economy by:
- Paying salaries and benefits to our team members and pension payments to retirees
- Purchasing from Canadian suppliers
- Paying government taxes
- Driving innovation through research and development
- Investing in next generation network technology
- Donating generously to our communities
- Distributing increased dividends to our equity investors
- Paying interest to our debt holders
- Supporting our customers’ economic growth through innovative solutions
The distribution of these benefits depends on our ability to generate economic value. We measure this success against our economic targets as well as other measures, such as community investment.
In 2012, our corporate priorities are to:
- Deliver on TELUS’ future friendly® brand promise by putting customers first
- Increase our competitive advantage through technology leadership
- Drive TELUS’ leadership position in its chosen business and public sector markets
- Accelerate TELUS’ leadership position in healthcare information technology
- Further improve our operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Build upon our culture for sustained competitive advantage
For details, including our 2011 financial highlights, strategic investments, taxes and more, visit the Economy section of this report.