We give where we liveTM
In support of our brand promise — the future is friendly® — we have a community investment strategy that is national in scope and local in delivery. It is designed to support charitable organizations in communities where TELUS operates and enable us to fulfill our commitment to give where we live. Our objectives are to:
- Create positive social outcomes and healthy communities
- Educate and empower youth
- Support innovative uses of technology through social innovation
- Support TELUS business operations (by enhancing our customers’ connection with our brand)
- Increase TELUS team engagement.
At TELUS we believe that the most effective way to help youth is through education, inspiration, empowerment, reward and advocacy. These five principles have a symbiotic connection to the partners that TELUS invests in:
- Educating: by providing youth with the tools to pursue their passion for growth
- Inspiring: by empowering youth with opportunities that enable them to take action for causes they care most about
- Empowering: by supporting youth who are embracing change to realize their full potential
- Rewarding: by recognizing youth who initiate opportunities and become activists for change in their own backyards
- Advocating: by mobilizing youth to use the power of spirited teamwork to drive positive social outcomes for others.
We work to achieve these objectives through our five key focus areas:
- Community Boards
- Local and national partnerships
- Humanitarian relief
- Customer engagement and cause marketing
- Community involvement of the TELUS team.
TELUS’ community investment strategy has evolved with support and direction from our Executive Leadership Team. We measure the success of our community investment programs through progress achieved year-over-year in terms of the number of people impacted (as reported by our partners) as well as overall dollars donated and hours volunteered. As a member of the London Benchmarking Group (LBG) we use their guidelines to evaluate and organize our community contributions. LBG Canada is part of a recognized global standard built upon more than 15 years of experience and used by more than 250 companies around the world. Further, as an Imagine Canada Caring Company, we target to donate a minimum of one per cent of pre-tax profits to Canadian communities on an annual basis and maintain a leadership position with this designation.
For details about our charitable giving programs, including community engagement, Community Boards, and strategic partnerships, visit the Community investment section of this report.